Amref Health Africa Internship programme provided by Amref recognizes the dual benefits that can be derived from internship and volunteer attachment programmes. The organization, therefore, offers local and international internship and volunteer opportunities.
While both volunteer attachments and internships may be part of a learning programme, volunteer opportunities are also offered to out-of-school candidates who may be on sabbatical or who want to contribute to community service.
Amref Health Africa offers various internship opportunities at its headquarters in Nairobi, country offices in Africa and Northern offices in Europe and North America.
The following internship opportunities are available:
- Finance Department
- ICT Department
- Lab Technologist- Amref Kibera Reach 90 project
- 4. M-Pesa MNH Foundation project (Uzazi Salama)
- Procurement Department
- WASH & NTDs – Trachoma Project
- WASH & NTD – Kenya Sanitation and Hygiene Improvement Programmme
- Finance and Procurement Department – Records Management
- Healthy Heart Africa project – Monitoring & Evaluation
- Digital Communications Intern
Amref Health Africa Internship Selection Criteria:
- Interns shall be recruited through notices on the Amref Health Africa website, indicating the type of interns required, the period of time each is needed, and the deadline for applying for the internship.
- Applications and interviews for internships shall be coordinated by the respective HR office in conjunction with the requisitioning programme head or a representative.
- Selection will be based on the job description prepared for this purpose and the best-suited candidates will be selected.
Nationalities Eligible: All Nationalities
Amref Health Africa will accept internship placements quarterly: January, April, July, and October for those applying from Africa; and July and October for applicants from outside of Africa.
Available positions will be posted on Amref Health Africa’s website during the month of October every year.
- Internships are open to a diploma, degree, post-graduate and doctoral students who wish to acquire knowledge and experience of a real work environment to the mutual benefit of both the organization and the Intern. Interns are fully involved in the work programme of the unit relevant to their studies under the supervision of a responsible staff member.
- Interns are expected to contribute their skills, knowledge, and competencies while acquiring supplemental training in their areas of specialization but are not full-time employees. They are not substitutes for full-time staff.
- Amref Health Africa does not offer any payment for an internship.
- Internships are normally offered for a period of three but can be extended to a maximum of six months. An intern will work an average of 40 hours per week.
Potential candidates must:
- Submit an application to undertake internship training at Amref Health Africa. All applications must be submitted to the relevant HR office through the address provided below.
- Specify why he/she has chosen Amref Health Africa for an internship, the benefits expected from completing the internship (eg how it fits into the applicant’s studies or career plans), and how this contributes to Amref Health Africas objectives.
The application should indicate specifically:
- Field of academic specialization or area in which practical training is required
- Programme of training approved by the candidate’s institution, where applicable duration of the internship (three or six months)
- Number of credits required for validation by the candidate’s institution, where applicable
- The application for internship shall be accompanied by a supporting letter from his/her learning institution, where relevant.
- In countries where Amref Health Africa operates, the application will be forwarded through those Amref Health Africa offices if the request is for placement in a different Amref Health Africa office.
Applications will be done using the application form and sent to the email address of the Amref Health Africa office offering the internship. (See the list below.)
- Internship-ET@Amref.org – Amref Health Africa in Ethiopia
- Internship-KCO@Amref.org – Amref Health Africa in Kenya
- Internship-TZ@Amref.org – Amref Health Africa in Tanzania
- Internship-UG@Amref.org – Amref Health Africa in Uganda
- Internship-SA@Amref.org – Amref Health Africa in South Africa
- Internship-SS@Amref.org – Amref Health Africa in South Sudan
- Internship-WA@Amref.org – Amref Health Africa in West Africa
- Internship-HQ@Amref.org – Amref Health Africa Headquarters
|Job Category||Finance Opportunities, Health Opportunities|