Bitch Media, an independent, nonprofit feminist media organization now in its 22nd year, is pleased to offer the Bitch Media Fellowships for Writers, a series of three-month intensive writing fellowships whose goal is to develop, support, and amplify emerging, diverse voices in feminist, activist, and pop-culture media. The program is directed by Bitch cofounder Andi Zeisler.
Bitch Media’s mission is to provide and encourage an engaged, thoughtful response to mainstream media and pop culture. We strive to be a fresh, revitalizing voice in contemporary feminism, one that welcomes complex arguments and refuses to ignore the contradictory and often uncomfortable realities of life in an unequivocally gendered world. We publish the award-winning quarterly magazine Bitch: Feminist Response to Pop Culture; we also feature daily online articles, interviews, opinions, and weekly podcasts at bitchmedia.org; and send speakers and workshop leaders to colleges and universities around the world through our Bitch on Campus program.
Fellows will work in one of four subject areas during the fellowship period:
- Sexual politics
- Pop-culture criticism
- Global feminism
Eligibility: If you are a writer who has minimal publication experience, we strongly encourage you to apply. If you are passionate about one of the above subject areas but do not have a history of writing or blogging about them, we strongly encourage you to apply. If you are a writer still figuring out the topics you’re most dedicated to, we strongly encourage you to apply.
During the 3-month fellowships, our fellows will:
- Produce a minimum of six online articles for Bitch Media in the topic area of their fellowship. These pieces can take a variety of forms: reported, analytical, advocacy-focused, even infographic, and are least 600 words in length
- Produce at least one long-form article to be published in the quarterly magazine Bitch: Feminist Response to Pop Culture.
- Participate in bi-weekly meetings (by phone or Skype if fellows cannot meet in person) with the fellowship director and other members of the Bitch Media staff.
- Receive mentorship and support in creating, shaping, and editing articles and blog posts.
- Receive follow-up support with placing future articles and essays, and make great connections within feminist-media communities.
- Receive a $2,000 stipend for the three-month fellowship
Click here to apply
Application Deadline: July 31, 2018.
|Job Category||Writing Opportunities|