In this entry-level position, the Finance Clerk supports the finance team with some core finance and accounting functions leading to the preparation of reports for both senior management and the regulators.We successfully launched our career development program in 2016. This 12-month paid internship offers valuable workplace experience, mentoring, and training and networking opportunities to recent post-secondary graduates so that they can successfully bridge the gap between school and career.
What You Will Learn
In addition to learning some of the group’s functions such as accounts payable, brokered deposits, clearing, compliance and general accounting and administration, you will gain experience and knowledge through special projects related to profitability measurement, risk management, foreign currency valuations and balance sheet strategies.
Through coaching, mentoring and continuous on-the-job training, you will develop a good understanding of various functions within accounting and finance departments in a real-world environment. This will prepare you for a future junior accounting role in financial services.
What You Will Do
- Balance and reconcile assigned general ledgers and bank accounts.
- Process entries to general ledger and retrieve items posted.
- Prepare and post general entries such as accounts payable.
- Maintain records of revenue and expenditure.
- Accurately maintain electronic and paper records.
- Verify the accuracy of invoices and other documents or records, reconciling records with employees, members or vendors.
- Provide excellent service to internal (staff) and external (members) stakeholders.
- Compile data and assist with the preparation of reports.
- Assist with special projects and analyses.
To be eligible to apply for this Career HeadStart position, you must satisfy the following criteria:
- You graduated from a Canadian accredited university or college at least six but not more than 24 months ago.
- You are fluent in English.
- You are eligible to work in Canada.
- You are committed to learning and spending 12 months in this program.
Equally comfortable working independently and as part of a team, the successful candidate pays great attention to detail, demonstrating precise accuracy in their daily work as well as accountability and integrity. Showing an aptitude for grasping new knowledge, this individual possesses excellent organizational, time management, priority-setting, follow-up and follow-through skills as well as these other qualifications:
degree in accounting, finance or business, or similar discipline. Candidates currently working towards Certified Public Accountant (CPA) designation are preferred
Proficient in Excel using various financial functions
Very good MS Office (Word, PowerPoint, Outlook) and data entry skills
Working Conditions/Physical Effort
- Professional, team-oriented office environment
- 37.5 hour work week (Monday to Wednesday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Thursday and Friday, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.) with the ability to work overtime if required
- Physical demands include sitting, considerable use of computer and phone and infrequent moving/lifting of items like file boxes of varying weight
Business Area :Finance and Accounting
Duration: 12 months from start date
Start Date: November 2018
Positions: One position at our Etobicoke Centre location
Closing Date September 22, 2018
|Job Category||Training Opportunities|