The Howard G. Buffett Fund for Women Journalists, the first funding initiative of its kind, enables the IWMF to dramatically expand its support of women journalists. Established with a $4 million gift from the Howard G. Buffett Foundation, the Fund will support projects including educational opportunities, investigative reporting, and media development initiatives.
Promoting the work and advancing the role of women in the news media across the globe is critical to transparency and a diversity of voices.
Funding rounds will open for applications in January and June of each year; applications take 6-8 weeks to process. Applicants may apply for concurrently for Reporting Grants for Women’s Stories and the Howard G. Buffett Fund for Women Journalists.
The IWMF’s Howard G. Buffett Fund for Women Journalists supports the production of ambitious projects and underreported, globally important stories. For the next eight years, the IWMF will make an annual total of $230,000 worth of grants to support women journalists in their projects and endeavors. The fund is not limited to either the grant dollar amount or the number of grants awarded within the annual total.
The fund was designed to help women journalists from around the world by providing grantees support to
- Expose under-reported but critical global issues
- Undertake ambitious projects that challenge traditional media narratives
- Develop field-based expertise and strengthen careers
- Pursue critical skills training and leadership opportunities
- Launch entrepreneurial news projects or acquire the skill to do so
Nationality Eligible: All Nationalities
Eligibility: An applicant must identify as a woman and be a full-time professional practicing journalist with more than 3 years of post-graduate journalism experience. If applicable, teams of journalists may apply, but the team leader must be a woman journalist and the group must include at least 50 percent women.
Applicants must be prepared to provide the following information (in English):
1. Contact Information and Resume/CV
2. Brief description of the project or opportunity you are seeking funding for
3. If applicable, a list of any other team members or applicants
4. Description of the purpose of the proposal and the issue/problem it is designed to address
5. Estimated budget and time frame
Application Deadline: March 9, 2018
|Job Category||Journalism Opportunities|