The purpose of the Guest Researchers’ Scholarship Programme is to provide opportunities for Africa-based researchers with a Ph.D. to pursue their own research projects, thereby indirectly strengthening the academic milieux in African countries.
The Guest Researchers’ Scholarship offers access to the Institute’s library and other resources that provide for a stimulating research environment. Through the programme, the Nordic Africa Institute can establish and maintain relations with and between African and Nordic research communities.
Nationality Eligible: Africa
Level of Study: Postdoctoral researchers
Institution of Study: The Nordic Africa Institute
Scholarship Offer: The Guest Researchers’ Scholarship includes a return air-fare (economy class), accommodation, a subsistence allowance of 300 SEK (approx. 34 USD) per day plus an installation grant of 2,500 SEK (approx. 280 USD) and access to a computer in a shared office at NAI.
The scholarship programme is directed at postdoctoral researchers based in Africa and engaged in Africa-oriented research within the discipline of Social Sciences and Humanities. The applicant should be affiliated with an African university/research center and have a proven track record of extensive research experience.
The Institute strives to achieve a fair distribution of scholarship positions in regards to gender and geographic focus.
- Application form
- Up-to-date CV, including list of publications (if available online, please include links)
- Outline of the research project, 5 pages:
- A well-elaborated research proposal; the research topic must relate to the research themes of the Institute
- A work plan, including expected results, specific for the time spent at the Institute
- Reference: A signed letter of support from the applicant’s Head of Department or another senior scholar in the same field, which confirms current affiliation and field of research. (Scanned versions of signed support letters can be emailed by the applicant.)
Applications can be sent by post/airmail or by email. Applications sent by post/airmail should contain 2 copies of each document. Applications sent by email should contain only 1 copy of each document.
Applications sent by post/airmail should be addressed to
The Nordic Africa Institute
P.O. Box 1703
SE-751 47 Uppsala, Sweden.
Applications sent by email should be addressed to
Annika Franklin, Research Administrator, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note: On the subject line of your email, write: “Application: Guest Researchers’ Scholarship Programme”. Scanned versions of signed support letters can also be sent to the above email address.
Application Deadline: 1 April 2018.
|Job Category||Social Science Opportunities|