The TWAS-Siwei Cheng Prize is named after the renowned Chinese economist Siwei Cheng (1935-2015), an economist, chemical engineer, and major political figure. He is most well-known for his work in modern Chinese economic development as a driving force behind the establishment of ChiNext.
ChiNext is a stock exchange designed to provide venture capital to technology companies. His work has had a profound impact on both the Chinese and global economy.
With funding from the Siwei Cheng Foundation of the Education Foundation of the University of Chinese Academy of Sciences, the prize will recognize economic scientists who have been living and working in a developing country for at least 10 years.
The prize reflects the Chinese Academy of Sciences’ strong support to TWAS and, more generally, seeks to build scientific capacity in the developing world. Bai Chunli, president of both the Chinese Academy and TWAS, played a central role in the creation of the TWAS-Siwei Cheng Prize.
Nationalities Eligible: Developing countries in the south
Institution of Study: The World Academy of Sciences
Field of study: Economics, Sciences
- From 2017 and for five years total, an annual prize of US$10,000 will be awarded in the field of Economic Sciences.
- The prize is accompanied by a medal.
- The prize will be presented on a special occasion, often coinciding with the General Meeting of TWAS.
Candidates for the TWAS-Siwei Cheng Prize in Economic Sciences must be economic scientists who have been living and working in a developing country for at least ten years immediately before their nomination. They must meet at least one of the following qualifications:
- Scientific research achievement in economic sciences of outstanding significance for the development of scientific thought
- Outstanding contribution to the application of economic sciences to sustainable development
TWAS is inviting nominations from all its members as well as science academies, national research councils, universities and scientific institutions in developing and developed countries.
Nominations can only be submitted electronically through the online nomination platform and clearly state the candidate’s contribution to understanding and addressing economic sciences.
Nominations of women social scientists and candidates from scientifically lagging countries are particularly encouraged.
Application Instructions: Please check if entered data are valid
- While filling in the form, pay attention to the requirements for each field (e.g. maximum number of characters, file type -Word files will not be uploaded, only pdf files are allowed-, date format, etc.)
- Run a check using the button of the form menu to verify that mandatory fields have been filled in and the data you entered are accepted. This also saves your form.
- Every time you run a check, you are taken to the last section of the form named “Submit”. Use the form menu to navigate to the previous sections.
Click here to start new nomination.
Application Deadline: 15 March 2018
|Job Category||Economics Opportunities, Science Opportunities|