The Europa-Institut at the University of Zurich (EIZ) in cooperation with the State Secretariat for Education, offers research grants at the top U.S. Think Tank Wilson Center in Washington D.C. in 2018.As the successful applicant, you will get the chance to spend four months at the WWC conducting independent, advanced research. You will get access to their research facilities and libraries (f.e. Library of Congress), and you can profit from their strong marketing department and their vast network. The grant of total 20’800 USD will give you the freedom to focus entirely on your research.
Application Deadline: 1st June 2017
Institution of Study: Wilson Centre
Scholarship Type: Full-scholarship
Level of education: Master’s
The applicant must fulfill the following requirements:
- The applicant must have a master’s degree of state-recognized university;
- The applicant must have the Swiss citizenship or a valid Swiss residence permit;
- The candidates must be fluent in both written and spoken English
Benefits and responsibilities
- 5,200 USD per month stipend, broken down as follows: housing & living, room & board allowance, round trip airfare, and health insurance.
- The stipend will be awarded a contract signed between the EIZ and the successful applicants. The Center will offer a library carrel space available 24 hours a day, and a Windows-based personal computer. The Wilson Center’s Library provides access to digital resources, its book and journal collections, and to the Library of Congress, university and special libraries in the Washington metropolitan area, and other research facilities.
- While at the Wilson Center, you will be expected to pursue full-time independent research and writing based on the topic outlined in their proposal, submitted at the time of application. You will have the opportunity to participate in workshops, seminars, and conferences organized by the Wilson Center, as well as to contribute to the intellectual life of the Wilson Center, and the larger Washington, D.C. scholarly community.
- The scholars must publish two contributions on their current work write a 1-2 pages report on their experiences at the Wilson Center once they get back from D.C.
Application Requirements & Guidelines:
- A one-page cover letter outlining your motivation, the title of your research, and the desired starting date;a professional curriculum vitae (please indicate your birthdate).
- A brief description of the proposed research project (max. Five pages, double spaced, including:
- the title of your research.
- A detailed explanation of the research topic.
- discussion of the methods, approaches, sources, and materials to be used.
- A discussion of the project’s originality, its scholarly contribution, and its relevance to contemporary issues future research.
- A plan for the time after your stay at the Wilson Center.
Europa Institut at the University of Zurich
tel.: +41 44 634 48 91